Tuesday, June 3, 2008

frame shifts

This will probably not make any sense to anyone else other than me. But I need to figure something out about my dissertation and so am using this as a dumping ground right now. So, if you are not Matty Lau nor part of her dissertation, you can stop reading now.


Okay, how do I make sense of D and his frame shifts with A? Would like to say that he is framing it in a particular way but if we want to be true to the data, he actually shifts in and out of the framing. Then whenI point that out, there is a desire to hear about "Well, why the heck does he shift in and out?" That should be part of chapter 6. But why does he shift in and out? well, I think it is because he thinks that he has gotten her into the right problem space and then they can explore. But when she says things that are not correct nor a in the allow "wrong ideas" space (which in this case, I don't really know what is and I don't think D knows what it is either), he feels the need to pull her back by telling her. I think that the correct wrong ideas are ones that can easily be changed to be the right ideas by demos or lab experiences or simple logic problems he thinks they can tackle in the confines of his class (e.g., videos, dropping things, etc). But in the end, they are ones that he knows how to confront and fix eventually. Is that how he saw G? With A, she claimed that gravity was just weird in outer space and so that is hard to deal with- is that it? I am not sure that is it either.

Okay but how does this help with Chapter 5? How do I establish what frame (or frames) he is in? How is this useful for me to talk about?

No comments: